Monday, December 1, 2008

Sleeping with Bread




The examen, based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius, helps a person hold onto what spiritually nourishes him by looking at what is giving him consolation in his life or causing him desolation. It allows someone to express his gratitude to God for the good stuff and turn to him for solace for the bad stuff. It is quite simple. You simply ask yourself, in the last day/week/month what gave me consolation and what caused me desolation.



The Good:



I'm so lucky to be a part of this family.







The Bad:

It kills me to be away. I hate that I can't drop by my parents' house after work, or take dinner over to my brother and sister. I know I'm only two hours away, but it seems like an eternity, especially at this time of the year. I had to drive home from Thanksgiving in our first snowstorm of the season, and it made me realize that I can't really plan to go back until spring, because the snow around here is unpredictable and dangerous. Why can't they all just move down here with me???



"Grateful for each hand we hold
Gathered 'round this table
From far and near we travel home
Blessed that we are able


Grateful for what's understood
And all that is forgiven
We try so hard to be good
To lead a life worth living


Father, mother, daughter, son
Neighbor, friend, and friendless
All together, every one
Let grateful days be endless"

(From Thanksgiving Song by Mary Chapin Carpenter)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you have a family you love and that you love to spend time with.

I'm sorry that you are too far to spend time on with them on a regular basis. I'm glad you are careful about driving in the snow!

Mel said...

How wonderful to have them, no matter the distance.
I envy those who are connected to family--who have them in their lives today.

And who knows--maybe the weather will be more cooperative this winter.

HA.
One can hope!

Tara Lamont said...

This reminds me of the song, "Blessed be the ties that bind". Glad you had a good holiday.
T