Sunday, December 7, 2008

TSS - November wrap-up


I'm not sure why I didn't post this last week - probably still in a Thanksgiving hangover. Oh - and I had just driven home in a blizzard, so my brain wasn't working. I remember now. Anyway, here's the scoop on what I read in November - not an especially prolific month for me, but I had a cute little distraction that kept me busy for part of the month.


The Host by Stephenie Meyer - I thought this was a better novel than the Twilight series - it felt like an author growing up. Although I didn't like the ending, but I've come to expect that with Meyer novels. Finished 11/4/08, Rated 8/10.

Flygirl by Sherri L. Shepherd - great YA novel to be released in January, this was for review on Bookloons.com. A young girl tries to figure out how to fulfill her dream of becoming a pilot in WWII. Good stuff! Finished 11/8/08, Rated 8/10.

Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss
- started out funny and ended up whiny. Big disappointment. Finished 11/9/08, Rated 5/10.

Too Fat to Fish by Artie Lange - I actually got this as a review book for Bookloons.com because Artie is one of my husband's favorite comediens, and I thought it would be fun to get a book he would actually be interested in. =) Turned out to be an interesting memoir, though his style is not for everyone. Finished 11/14/08, Rated 7/10.

In the Face by Lorelei Armstrong - review book for Curledup.com, this mystery/thriller had a great premise, but was executed poorly. Another disappointment. Finished 11/17/08, Rated 5/10.

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
- long awaited follow-up novel by Oprah's buddy Mr. Lamb. I should have been alerted to the tone of the novel by the fact that he had been chosen for Oprah's book club twice - she does like depressing. Well written, but more bleak than I was looking for. Finished 11/22/08, Rated 7/10.

Real Magic by Brian A. Fowler
- self-published novel sent to me by the author - promising, but needs editing. Finished 11/23/08.

All told, not my greatest reading month. I've already had some good stuff in December, though, so things are looking up! It's snowing here (again), and I'm planning to curl up under a blanket and read away the afternoon - or maybe watch football. We'll see how things turn out. =)

No comments: