Sunday, February 1, 2009

TSS - Monthly Wrapup and NaJuReMoNoMo


National Just Read More Novels Month has come to a close, and I'm pleased to say I attained my goal of reading 5 novels this month - I'm a winner!! Here's the scoop:

The Marchessa by Simonetta Agnello Hornby - did not start the year out with a bang, this historical novel read too much like a textbook and not enough like a story. Finished 1/9/09, Rating 5/10.

The Eyes of a King by Catherine Banner - Young adult fantasy by a British teen author touted by some as "the next J.K. Rowling". She's going to have to do better to live up to that praise, because while her first novel shows promise, it won't connect to audiences in the way Rowling has been able to. (My review here.) Finished 1/20/09, Rating 7/10.

By The Shore by Galaxy Craze - beautiful coming-of-age novel about a young girl and her loving but troubled mother, this novel captures the voice of its protaganist perfectly. (My review here.) Finished 1/23/09, Rating 8/10.

Tiger, Tiger by Galaxy Craze
- pseudo-sequel to By The Shore, this novel follows May and her family to an ashram in California. A good story which does not equal its predecessor. (My review here.) Finished 1/24/09, Rating 6.5/10.

The Last Nightingale by Anthony Flacco
- Excellent historical suspense, the first in my current favorite series of this genre. I have a sad feeling there won't be any more novels to come, because of a really bad decision by its publisher, but I will certainly savor these two again in years to come. (My review here.) Finished 1/26/09, Rating 8/10.

So, who else wants to celebrate their NaJuReMoNoMo success with me? Tell me about the novels you read this month in the comments, and head over to Foma, the official blog for NaJuReMoNoMo, to pick up your awards!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

A silver award, good for you. The Last Nightingale sounds interesting. I completely forgot about the awards when I did my January in review post today. Thanks for the reminder,I better go get mine. Happy reading in February.

Literary Feline said...

Woohoo! Congratulations on reaching your goal. I didn't participate this year, but I'll celebrate your success with you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award. I can not say there has been a lot of left over time in my life for reading five novels unless of course you count reading my own work in progress five times on the hunt for discrepencies and typoes.

DW Golden
Soar with Fairies in a new young adult novel: Purple Butterflies

Liz said...

I came to the party late, but managed (oh goodness, now I can't remember them all! SO much for my resolution to write down every title this year. Maybe I can recreate later...) the final installment of the Clare Fergusson series (she's an Episcopalean priest who keeps getting involved with crimes -- and the police chief. LOVED the books), "Secret Garden" for book club; the latest Vince Flynn and my most recent read, which is just as good as Flynn, Deadly Exchange. Very fun thriller. I just loved it. It had a wonderful love story cleverly and intricately woven into a "take-over-the-world" thriller. Quite enjoyable.