Sunday, December 6, 2009

TSS - Monthly Wrap-up


Am I the only one who is ready for Christmas? I love this time of year - the smells and sounds and excitement. However, before we get ahead of ourselves, let's take a look at what I was reading in November:

Reader and Raelynx by Sharon Shinn - the 4th novel in Shinn's fabulous Twelve Houses series, this book brings many of the storylines to an excellent conclusion. I love this series, and thought this book was one of it's strongest. I loved the heroine, Amalie, who was a delightful surprise. Fans of this series will not be disappointed. If you aren't familiar, start with the first book, Mystic and Rider, and prepare to fall in love. Rated 9/10. (Review forthcoming)

My Father's Paradise: A Son's Search for his Jewish Past in Kurdish Iraq by Ariel Sabar - excellent memoir about searching for meaning in your family's past. This is a great book to pick up if you are unsure about nonfiction - you will not be able to put it down! Rated 8/10. (My thoughts on My Father's Paradise)

The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden
- re-read of a childhood favorite, this delightful children's book is a holiday classic. Read it together with your family, or just read it for yourself - I think you will fall in love! Rated 10/10. (My review of The Story of Holly and Ivy)

Regular Guy by Sarah Weeks - delightful YA novel about a boy trying to figure out how in the world he could possibly be related to his parents! Recommended. Rated 8/10. (My review of Regular Guy)

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
- very long and somewhat uneven Booker Prize-winning novel about the life of Thomas Cromwell. I feel like I read this book all month. Rated 6/10. (My review of Wolf Hall.)

The Big Thaw by Ed Struzik - this nonfiction just didn't catch my interest, but I'm sure for someone who loves this stuff it would be a great read. Rated 5/10. (My review of The Big Thaw.)

Days of Blood and Fire by Katherine Kerr
- sixth novel in a fantasy series I really enjoy, this book both took us to new places, and let us visit with old friends. Great read! Rated 8/10. (My review of Days of Blood and Fire)

Isis by Douglas Clegg
- creepy novella that retells the myth of Isis and Osiris, this story made me want to read more by this author. A great choice for next year's RIP challenge! Rated 8/10. (My review of Isis)

The Kings Are Already Here by Garret Freymann-Weyr - fantastic YA novel about obsession and what a person is willing to do in the quest for perfection. I really like this author - can't wait to read more. Highly recommended. Rated 9/10. (review forthcoming)


I think reading shorter work might be the key to this winter - 4 of the books I read this past month were novellas or YA/children's books, and with my limited reading time that might be the best thing for me. Here's to a great December!

1 comment:

Molly said...

What a productive November! I don't think I have ever read The Story of the Holly and the Ivy, but I will be sure to remedy that this season.

No, you are not the only who is ready for Christmas --- I have been ready since the middle of November (which made it very difficult to return to the classroom after Thanksgiving)