Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Month in Movies

“When I was your age, television was called books.” ~ The Princess Bride

Here's what made it off my Netflix queue into my DVD player this month:


District 9 (2009) - I don't know why I watch movies like this. They just give me nightmares. For a movie like this, District 9 was pretty good - especially for a low-budget, indie. It has lots of interesting things to say about race and violence, and clearly sets up for a sequel, which will probably be hugely successful. I just need to stop watching movies that will give me nightmares.

Terminator: Salvation
(2009) - Wow, what a disappointment. This movie had so many things that should have made it good, but it really wasn't. The biggest disappointment, to me, was Christian Bale - he basically just did Batman again, which was not appropriate at all for John Connor. There were parts that could have been very good, but it was just executed poorly. Definitely a disappointment.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (2009) - Huh. I'm usually entertained by Jeremy Piven as the affably sleezy character he plays so well, but in this particular movie it just didn't work for me.

Funny People (2009) - This movie mostly told me that funny people are really sad people - very, very sad. It's about 30 minutes too long, and the highlight of the movie is a very funny Eric Bana. Don't think this movie is a side-splitter - it's very much a serious, dark look at the life of a comedian.

Jennifer's Body
(2009) - I actually DIDN'T hate this as much as apparently everyone else in the world. I thought it was quite funny in places, and enjoyed watching the boys get slashed for a change. I mean, come on - it's a vampire movie. It's supposed to be over-the-top and campy, and I didn't take it seriously, so it was kinda fun.

Julie and Julia
(2009) - Oh, how I love Meryl Streep. I enjoyed the Julia Child parts more than the Julie Powell parts, but as a whole this was a fun movie. Kinda makes me want to try out some French cooking.....feel very sorry for my husband! =)

No comments: