Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Book Thoughts - The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
published 1989
282 pages

Synopsis from publisher -

Clear-eyed and spirited, Taylor Greer grew up poor in rural Kentucky with the goals of avoiding pregnancy and getting away. But when she heads west with high hopes and a barely functional car, she meets the human condition head-on. By the time Taylor arrives in Tucson, Arizona, she has acquired a completely unexpected child, a three-year-old American Indian girl named Turtle, and must somehow come to terms with both motherhood and the necessity for putting down roots. Hers is a story about love and friendship, abandonment and belonging, and the discovery of surprising resources in apparently empty places.


My thoughts -

There is something about Barbara Kingsolver's work that just appeals to my reading sensibilities. Her novels always just feel like they are right in my reading groove. I seem to be reading her backwards - starting with her more recent work, and making my way back to this, her first novel. It's interesting to see how she has progressed as a novelist, and also recognize the common elements in her work. This novel certainly has her signature strong female protagonists, as well as her commentary on some aspect of social justice. This book is very much about the need for finding a community, and the importance of family - your own, or the one you choose. I'm excited to find out that Kingsolver has written more books about the Greer family - I look forward to reading them.


Finished - 8/13/14
MPAA Rating - PG-13 for some discussion of adult situations
My rating - 4/5




4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It's been years since I read this book but I loved it!

Aarti said...

I have not read any Kingsolver books besides Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, but think I really need to give her fiction a try! I picked up The Lacuna from a book fair - maybe I'll give that one a go.

Literary Feline said...

I've only tried to read one of Kingsolver's books and couldn't get into it. I would like to try another of her works though--maybe it was just that one book that I couldn't connect with.

Vasilly said...

I remember reading this book years ago. I loved it so hard. Glad you enjoyed it too.